Cleaning the apartment | cleaning communal areas | fire instructions | furniture | garbage | giving notice when moving out | house guide | in unsafe or uncomfortable situations | insurance | internet | keys | laundry | moving out | new contract | parking | pets and animals | rent and payment | reporting defects | subletting | tv
Cleaning the apartment
Please read the guidelines for cleaning the apartment when moving out, below. Unsatisfactory cleaning will be fined. To avoid this, you can arrange to have a janitor check the apartment after you have cleaned it. Please book an appointment in advance.
- Wash workstations and other tables
- Wipe chairs / vacuum clean
- Wipe beds / vacuum clean
- Wash bookshelves and lamps
- Wash floors and lists (wash under beds and furniture)
- Wash walls (remove footmarks under desks / beds)
- Dust roof with a damp cloth
- Wash wardrobe inside and out
- Wash doors
- Clean every windows from inside. Wash the reversible windows exterior as well.
- Wash curtains at 30 degrees in machine. Do not use the dryer.
- Wash colored top mattress at 60 degrees (see washing instructions)
- Wash white stretch sheets / top mattress at 95 degrees. Do not use the dryer.
- Shower curtains washed at 40 degrees with gentle drying
- Clean mirror, sink, cabinets and toilets
- Dust off floors, walls and ceilings with a damp cloth
- Wash door
- Dust wipe the floors, walls, cabinets and with a damp cloth
- Clean the storage room / wash and remove content
- Empty and wash the drawers and cabinets
- Empty the fridge
- Please check out the washing lists and coordinate with the other residents of washing of the common areas.
- Empty and clean out drawers and closets (also upstairs closets) and clean the countertop
- Wash walls and floors. Dust of the roof with a damp cloth.
- Clean refrigerator, stove and kitchen ventilator thoroughly inside and out
- Clean behind and under the stove after the cooker is pulled out from the bench.
Cleaning the communal areas
The students have to clean the communal areas themselves. The house guide can help you, by organizing cleaning lists. We expect the communal areas to be clean and tidy when you leave them. The areas must be cleaned thoroughly twice per semester. SiS housing will arrange these cleanings.
Studio-apartments are furnished with a mini-kitchen, bed, desk and wardrobe. All other apartments are unfurnished.
Please recycle everything you can. You’ll find garbage containers by the side of the building. Please do not put garbage beside the containers, as this will not be picked up.
The house guide is your contact person, and link to SiS housing. The house guide has a number of social and practical duties:
- Welcoming new tenants, and giving them practical information when moving in
- Helping to organize cleaning and tidying of the communal areas
- Arrange social activities for the tenants
- Contribute to a good living environment and prevent conflicts
In unsafe or uncomfortable situations
After SiS’ opening hours, please contact Securitas (22 97 10 76) if you are experiencing unsafe episodes in your building. The same goes for vandalism, electrical problems, water leaks, etc.
You are responsible for insuring your own belongings.
Wifi is delivered by GET, and is included in your rent. To connect, please use the password typed on the router.
You can collect your keys at Kitty Kiellands hus at the university campus (UiS). Please remember to bring your enrollment papers, and a receipt showing that you have paid the student fee. If anything is wrong with your apartment, please let us know immediately.
If you lose your keys after SiS’ opening hours, you can call Securitas (22 97 10 76) to get help. This will cost you 1000 NOK.
If you are moving out after opening hours, please leave your key in the hatch to the left of the main door to Kitty Kiellands hus. Seal your key in an envelope with your name and telephone number on front, first. You’ll find envelopes beside the hatch.
You have access to the communal laundry, located on the first floor.
Your contract gives you lease for one school year. You will be given an opportunity to apply for a prolonged contract during the middle of January. This contract has to be accepted within March 1st. Your rent will be revised from August 1st.
There are no parking spaces for the Red Boxes. You can use the parking spaces on UiS, but be sure to read all signs to avoid getting fined.
Pets and animals
No animals or pets are allowed in SiS housing.
Rent and payment
You do not have to pay a deposit to stay in SiS housing. Electricity, Internet and use of the laundry room is included in your rent.
The first payment for rent is due after you have moved in. You can collect your invoice from My profile on Uni Alltid, where you will find it at the start of each month. The invoice is due the 20th in the same month.
Subletting your apartment
Click here to download the guidelines and contract on how to sublet your apartment to another student. Deliver the signed contract to SiS housing in Kitty Kiellands hus at the University of Stavanger (UiS).
Please remember that you are responsible for making sure that the bills are paid and for any damage to the property or premises.
You’ll find a TV in the communal areas.